Coronavirus Updates – Updated 5.1.20
San Jose Buddhist Church Betsuin news
Betsuin office still responding to emails and telephone calls
The Betsuin office and facilities are closed until further notice due to the coronavirus restrictions. But the office staff is working remotely and can answer your questions and help you as needed. You can leave a message at 408-293-9292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dial the Dharma
For those who don’t have internet access to watch video Dharma talks or participate in Zoom gatherings, the Office of the Bishop has created a “Dial the Dharma” phone messaging service.
Here’s how it works:
Dial 415-528-7220. You will be connected to a 5 minute message by Rev. Marvin Harada, the new bishop of the Buddhist Churches of America. The message will be changed periodically, according to the bishop’s office.
Please share the phone number with people you know who don’t have internet access or would like to listen to the message.
Watch the virtual service every Sunday
We’ve had four online services since the shelter-in-place order was issued. As of April 9, the Ohigan service on March 15 had 394 views, the March 22 service had 267 views, the March 29 service had 317 views and the April 5 service had 307 views.
Please join in by watching! Make it a family activity. Don’t forget to hit the subscribe button!
The services are at 10 a.m. Sundays, and can be viewed live on the Betsuin YouTube channel: SJBetsuin Videos or you can view it at a later time. There will also be a link on the
Betsuin Facebook page shortly before the service begins:
And … if you don’t have a service book at home. Check this out: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Kl4SOj0EyQPmaF9NHeC5m1nLBJL6PDA/view?fbclid=I wAR1cqT4EusyDyhVKBhbVKTH-vmLBRbsKY9ra69MvdiW0TqjXicZuzIqF6dg
Here is a link to the April 5 service:
We will be observing the birth of Shakyamuni Buddha’s this Sunday, April. As mentioned in the above item, the service will be broadcast live from Hondo starting at 10 a.m.
BCA YouTube Channel
You can also check out the Buddhist Churches of America channel, which has two videos by new Bishop Marvin Harada.
There are also some Dharma Messages about the coronavirus by other ministers: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLtZAGNf9kpV3m57qZzEbIQ
Volunteers ready to help the Sangha
We have volunteers ready to help Sangha members who need help with shopping or anything else. Please email or call the office if you know someone who needs assistance, 408-293-9292 or email@example.com .
Rev. Mikame is also volunteering
Rev. Mikame has been helping out at Yu-Ai Kai. Although lunches currently aren’t being serve at Yu-Ai Kai, people are picking up box lunches. Rev. Mikame is taking the temperature of people who are coming to pick up their meals.
The Betsuin has a blog, with contributions from the ministers and minister assistants: byakudoandme.wordpress.com. If you have any contributions, let Rinban know, firstname.lastname@example.org. Maybe you have children have made a video or you have a photo or story to share. Let us know how you are doing and what you are doing while sheltering in place and social distancing.
ABA Rummage Sale
The Rummage Sale has been cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.
2020 Obon Festival and Bazaar
The Betsuin Board of Directors discussed the status of this year’s Obon at their April 2 meeting (conducted online via Google Hangouts). A decision will be made at the May board meeting. The board hopes to have a better idea of what kind of restrictions may be anticipated for the summer, and also receive feedback from the Obon Committee and Sangha.
Board members did make it clear that the priority is the health and safety of the Sangha, volunteers and visitors.
Coronavirus Updates – Updated 4.3.20
San Jose Buddhist Church Betsuin and the Covid-19 coronavirus
Sunday services, Dharma School and Church activities suspended indefinitely
- This cancellation includes the following Sunday Service activities
- 9:30 Dharma School Service
- 10:10 Adult English Service
- 8:15 Sitting
- Dharma School Classes
For an updated event and schedule change list click here.
Rinban Sakamoto and Rev. Mikame will conduct virtual services that will be streamed live and can be viewed at http://bit.ly/2VYqSoV, by clicking on a link in the Betsuin’s Facebook page, www.facebook.com/sjbetsuin or search for SJBETSUIN.videos on YouTube.
Hanamatsuri Service – preparations are being discussed for a simple service that will accommodate the requirements dictated for public safety. We will notify the Sangha what form this will take as soon as possible.
Dharma School suspended indefinitely.
Church office and Nokotsudo will be CLOSED – the temple office plans to reopen when circumstances allow. Please return to this page for updates.
We recommend church groups, affiliated organizations and other groups cancel their scheduled activities in temple facilities until further notice.
If you do decide to cancel an event, please notify the office staff at 408-293-9292 or email@example.com.
If you have questions or need help during this period, please contact the Betsuin office, 408-293-9292 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Jose Buddhist Church Betsuin
Coronavirus Update: Event Changes
May 1, 2020
There is an updated Shelter in Place order issued today, April 29, 2020. The new order goes in effect, Monday, May 4th at 12:00am through Sunday, May 31, 2020. This order supersedes all previous Shelter in Place orders.
The temple office will remain closed through Sunday, May 31, 2020. We plan to re-open on Monday, June 1st.
We will be trying to answer emails as quickly as possible during this shutdown period. All communication will need to be handled via email. Some email addresses have changed; they’re listed below.
Santa County Public Health Department
New Email Addresses, please update your contacts. The new email addresses are located in the to section of this email.
San Jose Buddhist Church Betsuin – email@example.com
Facility Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org
April 3, 2020
There is an updated Shelter in Place order issued on, March 31, 2020. The new order goes in effect tonight, Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 11:59pm through Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 11:59pm. This order supersedes all previous Shelter in Place orders.
The temple office will remain closed through Sunday, May 3, 2020. We plan to re-open on Monday, May 4th
The office staff will try to answer as many emails as possible during this shutdown period. All communication will need to be handled via email.
- All general inquiries and/or scheduling please email: email@example.com
- Facility related questions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please remember that all of our services will be live streamed.
Santa County Public Health Department
Take care, and stay safe!
Ministers and Betsuin Office Staff
April 2, 2020
Soul Line Dancing: Cancelled in April and May; notice to come about future events.
March 30, 2020
We hope you are all safe and healthy.
Since the “Shelter in Place” order has been extended to the end of April, we wanted to send out this email to give you a few updates.
- A Simple Hanamatsuri service will be live streamed from the Hondo April 12 10:00am.
- We are currently looking for volunteers for a possible Foodbank distribution restart at Annex beginning April 16. Will need to know by April 8.
- Every Sunday at 10:00am service will be live streamed from the Hondo. Please join us.
- The temple is creating a list of volunteers to help possible needs
Just a few reminders of events that have been cancelled/postponed here at the temple.
- April 4th/18th – Venture Crew E-Waste Fundraiser (Cancelled)
- April 5th – Sangha Support: Living Trust Workshop (Cancelled)
- April 5th – Aloha Club (Cancelled)
- April 19th – Eco Sangha’s Earth Day Event (Cancelled)
- April 24th to April 26th – FDSTL (Postponed)
- April 26th – Nikkei Matsuri (Cancelled)
Please call the temple office and leave detailed message. The phone number is (408) 293-9292. We will return your call.
Please check the Temple website (sjbetsuin.com) regularly for updated information.
Ministers and Betsuin Office Staff
March 16, 2020
Santa Clara County Shelter In Place FAQ
With the Santa Clara County issuing a “Shelter in Place” order, the San Jose Buddhist Church Betsuin will be shutting down. The temple office will be closed as of 12:00am Tuesday, March 17th to 11:59pm April 7th. The temple office plans to reopen on Wednesday, April 8th.
We will try to send you updates during this shutdown.
If you have events scheduled and/or trying to reschedule events please email: email@example.com.
We will be trying to answer your emails during this shutdown period. All communication will need to be taken care of via email.
Stay healthy and safe.
Betsuin Office Staff
March 14, 2020
As of now the Betsuin Lotus Preschool will remain open.
The safety of students, decisions of parents and safety of staff is foremost.
The decision to remain open at this time is based on the following:
- Recommendation of Santa Clara County Public Health for preschool and child-care facilities can remain open.
- In the Lotus Preschool environment the implementation of CDC recommendations is possible. Wash hands. Stay home if sick. Restrict vulnerable people. Clean surfaces.
- Current public response to covid19 is mitigation. Slow the spread of the disease. The Lotus population is small and closed.
- Parents can decide to bring their child to preschool.
This decision can change as conditions change
March 13, 2020
- Sunday Services will be only available by live streaming until April 12th.
- Boy Scout Family Dinner is cancelled – A limited number of Boy Scout leaders will be on site to notify those that aren’t aware of the Boy Scout Family Dinner cancellation. They will be offering full refunds if you turn in your tickets with a name and mailing address. Refunds can be made by mail. Tickets must be mailed to the Betsuin office for refunds. Each person requesting a refund must provide tickets, name, and full address.
- Lotus Unite has been postponed. Will inform once a date is confirmed.
- Soul Line Dancing: Cancelled in March; notice to come about future events.
- Obon Planning Meeting – March 16th cancelled; Next Obon Meeting will be April 2oth.
- Aloha Club scheduled for Sunday, March 22nd – Cancelled
- 1st cooking club meeting scheduled for Sunday, March 22nd has been cancelled. Will inform when next meeting will take place.
- Pain Management Workshop scheduled for Sunday, March 29th – Cancelled
- Estate Planning scheduled for Sunday, April 5th – Cancelled
- Harumatsuri in Morgan Hill scheduled for Saturday April 19th – Cancelled
- Nikkei Matsuri scheduled for Sunday, April 26th – Cancelled
External Sources for Additional Information and Recommendations