San Jose Buddhist Church Betsuin
The San Jose Betsuins colorful origin can be traced to the early Issei pioneers who immigrated around the turn of the Twentieth century. The temple began in August of 1902 when ministers journeyed from San Francisco to San Jose to conduct Buddhist services. Earlier, the San Jose Church was a branch of the San Francisco Church.
The first temple was constructed in 1907 when Reverend Honen Takahashi was our first resident minister. Over thirty-four ministers have served the Temple in the 90 years of history. Our current temple was completed in 1937, and continues to serve our Sangha.
SUNDAY SERVICES | Family Service: 10:00 AM